The Jazz Ensemble involves the study of jazz literature and rehearsal/performance techniques of the ensemble on the moderate and advanced level of achievement. This ensemble requires both inside and outside of school rehearsals and performances throughout the school year. This ensemble will be offered throughout the year and meets during Enrichment period or afterschool as it is currently not offered as a part of the curriculum. Since this ensemble requires competencies and skills, the Director of Bands must approve all placements in/within the ensemble
Following completion of the course, the student will have a better knowledge and performance ability with/of the following:
- The ability to accurately count and play simple and complex jazz rhythmical patterns, including various note patterns, note and rest values, various tempos and tempo changes.
- The ability to recognize and apply musical notation and symbols commonly used at all musical levels of jazz literature.
- Perform an assigned musical part within the jazz ensemble, individually, or in a full ensemble setting.
- Perform a variety of jazz literatures/genres on an appropriate musical difficulty level from various musical styles and periods.
- Better understanding of the foundations of jazz music including its history.